Chair：MURATA, Kumiko. (Waseda University), Vice-chair: HINO, Nobuyuki. (Osaka University)
JACET Special Interest Group (SIG) in English as a Lingua Franca (ELF) was established in April 2016 to build on the basis of research conducted by the ELF research group at Waseda University. It serves a network of researchers and teachers with a strong interest in ELF, ELF-related research and pedagogy. Together, we aim to 1) promote more ELF-related research, 2)encourage the adoption of a more ELF-informed and oriented approach to teaching English, and 3) educate ELF-informed future English language teachers. ELF SIG invites any researchers and educators within JACET to join us in exploring ELF and making use of ELF-related research in education in Japan.
English is increasingly used worldwide as a lingua franca to connect people of different linguistic backgrounds, as opposed to the traditional use of English within a community of native speakers. Given this situation, we must urgently seek to further and deepen our understanding of ELF. This includes how ELF is used in the globalised world, what English skills are needed for ELF communication, how we can teach ELF in Japan, and how English teachers, both future and current, should be educated to include ELF-informed teaching and learning in their curriculum. We face a need to reconceptualise English education, by moving away from the traditional way of thinking, according to which it is modelled only on British and American English, i.e.. Inner Circle Englishes. Instead, we must provide our students with more ELF-oriented learning to prepare them for active participation in the globalised world.
- Planning & Steering Committee: Kumiko Murata, Nobuyuki Hino, Tomokazu Ishikawa, Yoko Nogami, Miyuki Takino, Sayako Maswana, Leah Gilner, Mayu Konakahara
- Public relations / publicity : Tomokazu Ishikawa, Leah Gilner – AILA REN liaison, Yasuhiro Fujiwara
- SIG Journal editors: Yoko Nogami, Mayu Konakahara
- SIG website administrators: Mayu Konakahara, Yoko Nogami, Ayako Suzuki
- Accounting/ Budget: Tomokazu Ishikawa
- Administration of the Members’ List & Mailing List: Mayu Konakahara, Tomokazu Ishikawa, Yoko Nogami